Janine Foster is a 21-year-old nzgirl who plays the sort of original alt-pop music that we just heart. She first came to our attention via the girls at Coup De Main.
2010 was a big year for Janine – in September, she took out the Juice TV and The University of Auckland Singer Songwriter of the Year Finals. You may have seen her perform at End Of Daze Festival, Tomorrow When The War began movie premiere, Fashion Quarterly 30th Birthday or the Girlfriend Live Tour.
- It may be a strange craving, but kumara covered in salt. Also my Nana’s old homemade tomato relish. No one makes relish like she did but it may have something to do with her tomatoes being the size of footballs too!
- I always look forward to Sunday morning breakfast at a little café with a sunny courtyard and my friends. Coffee, Eggs Benedict and some sun = happy Foster.
- I’ll eat pretty much anything except capsicum.
- I used to bake up a storm when I was young and could leave the mess for mum to clean up and when I did; it was always from the Edmonds Cookery book, passed down through family with our own little notes.
- I am obsessed with Nike high tops. They are great for skateboarding and basketball and they make my size 3 feet look cool. I have about five pairs in my wardrobe already and it’s still not enough!
- I love big oversized tee’s with massive prints, they look cool and hide the burger I just ate. My favourites are Federation, Lower, Something Else, Insight and One Teaspoon.
- I love quirky jewelry especially long necklaces; I have a robot, boxing glove and jet plane that I alternate between. My favourite brands would be Karen Walker and Stolen Girlfriends Club.
- Ceramics and homeware are my domestic joys. I bought the most amazing ice-cream bowls the other day that are red, the shape of a cone and have a spoon that sits on the side.
- Writing music and performing live are my favourite things in the world.
- Listening to Lupe Fiasco, Bon Iver, The XX, The Smiths, M.I.A, Sigur Ros, New Order, Joy Division, The Mint Chicks, Ladyhawke plus heaps more.
- Basketball! I love shooting hoops in the sun, first thing in the morning or in the afternoon till when it gets dark.
- Skateboarding, “Kick push, kick push, coast”… fractured elbow.
- Surfing at Muriwai beach
- Photography, Graffiti Art and Painting.
- Movies: Rocky, High Fidelity, Where The Wild Things Are, The Lion King
- TV: Flight Of The Conchords, The Simpsons, True Blood, Family Guy and everything Ricky Gervais
- Dream and never stop.
- Love is the only way to beat those who have scarred you.
- Heart shaped tomatoes taste better; but not as good as Nana’s!
- Life’s as much about the journey as the destination; unless you’re hungry and getting takeaways.
- My family and amazing friends, who inspire me, teach me, love me and make me happy!
- My band members Oli and Nik are awesome. They are so talented, hard working and have heaps of fun playing.
- I would love to meet Lupe Fiasco and Bon Iver!
- I would love to go to New York and stay with my sister who I’m missing!
- I could handle being Spain drinking Sangria in the sun right now.
- On stage.
- At the beach in the sun surfing.
- At the park playing basketball.
- Last but not least, bed! I struggle to sleep at night but in the morning I never want to leave my snuggly heaven.
If you want to hear more check out www.myspace.com/janinefoster