This unbelievably easy recipe is ideal for those “I-can’t-be-bothered” weekday dinners and is really tasty too!
I love this recipe because there’s no need to supervise – which means I can relax with a shower or laze on the couch while it’s cooking away.
This recipe is a very basic, vegetarian version, but feel free to let your imagination run wild. Try it with olives, mushrooms, mince or even tuna, the options are endless! It’s also a great way to use up any spare meat or veg languishing in your pantry.
(Apologies for the blurry pic – I was starving and couldn’t wait to dig in!)
|1 bunch or 8-10||Truss tomatoes or tomatoes on vine|
|Half to 3/4||pack||spaghetti or angel hair pasta|
|Grated parmesan cheese|
2. Place tomatoes on vine in ovenproof casserole dish. (Try leaving them on the vine, it seems to taste better somehow.) Add crushed garlic. Drizzle over olive oil, making sure that tomatoes and garlic are well-oiled. Drizzle over balsamic vinegar. (Add more to taste if you wish.) Sprinkle over sea salt.
3. Turn oven down to 180°C. Place tomato mixture in oven.
4. Set timer for 20 minutes.
5. Check on tomatoes when timer goes off (make sure it’s not burning), then put pasta on to boil.
6. Set timer for another 5 minutes. Keep an eye on the pasta.
7. Remove tomatoes from oven and carefully detach the vine from the tomatoes (I use kitchen scissors or a small knife).
8. Using a fork, mash the tomato mixture until it looks ‘saucy’.
9. Drain the pasta while reserving about 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
10. Add pasta into tomato mixture and mix thoroughly. Serve with a generous sprinkling of parmesan cheese. (If you’re feeling fancy, or if you have some lying about, fresh basil leaves also go a treat with this.)
The Omnivore (food blogger on stuff.co.nz)