This is a nice light dish that is great served with a fresh green salad, perfect for the long summer nights that are hopefully heading our way soon. It’s also great the next day, so you can take any leftovers for lunch.
This was a bit of a “made up on the spot” recipe that a few people have been asking me for, so I thought I should share it with all the nzgirl readers.
You can use homemade pastry for the base if you like, but I have used Edmond’s Reduced Fat Savoury Short Crust Sheets that come pre-rolled (mostly because I’m lazy).
|1||tablespoon||dark cane sugar|
|4||spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced, including the green parts|
|short savoury pastry|
|salt and pepper|
3. Gently cook the leeks until they soften, then sprinkle over the dark cane sugar and cook until the leek is caramelised. Sit the pan aside to cool.
4. Whisk the eggs and cream together in a bowl, season with salt and pepper.
5. Line pie dish with pastry.
6. Crumble the feta over the caramelised leeks and mix in. Transfer this mixture into the base of your tart.
7. Sprinkle the spring onions into the tart, then pour the egg mixture over the top.
8. Bake for 30-35 minutes until it’s firm in the centre and the surface has turned a lovely golden brown. Remove the tart from the oven and allow it to settle for 10 minutes before serving. These 10 minutes are important as it will be much easier to cut the tart into portions.