And while your at it, maybe think about having a themed party…
I am into themed parties in a big way and have definately thrown or been to my fair share. i like gathering all my friends together, eating good food, laughing and it’s even better if it’s all done in theme. Here’s a few of my fave, I’d love to hear yours too!
- There was the ‘gangsta’ party. We listened to hip hop, tried to dance, wore bling and used words like “shawty” it was awesome.
- The mexican party, wear sombreros and eat large amounts of nachos… looking back this night should have definitely included sangria, mmm sangria.
- The brinner party- doesn’t involve dressing up but who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner? An excuse to eat bagels with cream cheese, pancakes and tasty home made muesli with greek yogurt omnomnom.
- The tea party. A classic ladies afternoon, even better if you can borrow your mum’s china tea set. Bake some scones, cupcakes, shortbread, little blini’s with smoked salmon, club sandwiches- and make it all mini, there’s nothing cuter. I recommend serving Harney and Sons tea if you can find it, it’s much easier to serve then loose leaf but every bit as beautiful, it comes in gorgeous tins and the tea leaves are in little silk pouches, sigh.
- The ‘let’s build a fort and eat pancakes in it’ party. Perfect for a wet weekend.
- The bad ass party- I did this for my birthday last year, it was Bizzles bad ass birthday BBQ. Maybe my favourite party ever. Wear leather and leopard print. Draw tattoos on your knuckles and buy temporary scorpian tattoos. Drink beverages from brown paper bags and cover the walls in photos of bad ass people.
- The tapas party- I did this for my birthday this year and although it was flippin’ hard work- especially for those helping you in the kitchen, it really is worth it, such a delicious way to eat, dress up pretty and drink nice cold sangria with plenty of fresh fruit in it.
- The classic letter party- my best friend had an ‘L’ party for her birthday and I went as a ‘love letter’- huge mens singlet from the warehouse in white, wrote a love letter to her on it and wore it as a dress. Beats lion and librarian any day.
- The Moustache party- we wore moustaches, ate food and sat under the stars laughing about how funny we looked.
- The hippy party- we have had about 3 of these cause they NEVER get old. Wear tie dye, flowers in your hair, round sunglasses and a peace sign. Give each other hippy names like ‘spring rain’, make some kinda tent outside with lots of cushions to sit on. Listen to some sweet music, burn incense, lights tonnes of tealight candles and eat fondue. Major win.
Go on and get creative! Themed parties instantly give everyone something in common, therefore something to talk about and they are a total laugh.