This is a super easy recipe and lots of fun to make! I got the recipe from the Cookie Monster recipe also on nzgirl but have changed up the icing a bit.
The recipe I use is:
2/3 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup self raising flour
1/3 cup Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC conventional or 160ºC fan forced.
2. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and creamy. Gradually add eggs and mix until just combined.
3. Sift flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda. Add to creamed mixture with milk. Stir until just combined.
4. Spoon into greased 1/3 cup muffin pans and bake for 15-20 minutes.
TIP: After my first attempt with butter straight out of the fridge, which almost broke my arm attempting to cream it, I have started leaving the butter out the night before. Also good for the icing which you need room temp. butter for. My first attempt with cold butter lead to split icing.
For the icing:
- I used a basic butter icing again, then added maybe 2 cups of coconut and a few drops of red food colouring. Had some fun with the food colouring, wonder how long it will take for the red stains to disappear off my hands??
- The eyes are just white marshmallows, cut in half, with a choc icing dot on them. Was a bit of a challenge getting the icing to stay on there! One of the images I saw on Google had the end of a black licorice bullets for the pupils but I thought the flavours might clash.
- The nose is an orange M&M and the mouth half an Oreo, also fun to cut! But the middles were delish!
I’m pretty stoked with how they came out (if I do say so myself)! Might have to wait a while before I have one though… ate too many marshmallows and M&Ms while making them! Enjoy!