Our heart goes out to the nzgirls and their families affected by Tuesday’s earthquake in Christchurch. Feeling like you can’t “do anything”?
We wanted to pull together some of the ways we’ve seen that allow those of us not immediately affected to do our bit…
The Prime Minister John Key (via the NZ Herald) said the best way people from around New Zealand and the world can help is to make cash donations (to reputable, non scammy sources) to help the city and its residents get back on their feet.
PLEDGE A DONATION TO:
- The Citizens of Christchurch Mayoral Fund using the following BNZ bank account: 02-0800-084958-000.
- The Red Cross online via the GrabOne website ($5, $10, $20) or if you’re on Vodafone TXT ‘QUAKE’ to 555 to donate $5 or TXT ‘QUAKE’ to 333 to donate $3.
- The Salvation Army by either donating online or calling 0800 53 00 00 (specify that your donation is for the ‘Canterbury Earthquake Appeal’) or in your local bank branch at:
- ANZ Bank branches: Account number 01-1839-0188939-00
- National Bank branches: Account number 06-0869-0548507-00
- Westpac Bank branches: Account number 03-0207-0617331-00
- ASB Bank branches: Account number 12-3205-0146808n Key sa-00
- BNZ Bank branches: Account number 02-0500-0982004-000
- Kiwibank branches: Account number: 38-9009-0759479-00
There are other ways that you can help such as…
OFFER ACCOMODATION VIA:
- TradeMe’s Emergency Accomodation Board
- Quake Escape’s Accomodation Board
- Residents in Wellington can help by providing free accommodation by calling (04) 801 4205 or emailing email@example.com
- Auckland residents can call 0800 AUCKLAND to register spare beds in their houses.
DONATE YOUR SERVICES/SHOW YOUR SUPPORT IN OTHER WAYS:
- Contribute to the Christchurch SPCA’s Pet Emergency Earthquake Fund either here or to the Westpac account 030802 0586429 00.
- Paw Justice is sending food shipments to pets in Christchurch affected by the earthquake. Text “FOOD” to 4662 to donate $3.
- Add a Christchurch Quake 22-02-01 Twibbon to your Facebook and Twitter profile. Twibbon creator, Trish Sherson is currently coordinating a sponsor for the Twibbon to donate money on behalf of those who show their support – contact Trish via nzgirl here if your company would be interested in pledging your support.
- Donate bottled water at the Water for Christchurch drop off points around Auckland (George FM, Cafe Massimo) to be freighted down to Christchurch.
- Attend the Kotahitangata (One People) Quake Relief Gig at Sale St in Auckland on Sunday February 28. Tickets are $25 with 100% of all proceeds going to Red Cross New Zealand to aid their ongoing efforts to support those affected by the quake.
- Bake up a storm (or consume up a storm) at the Delish Cupcakes ‘Get Your Bake On’ Bake Sale on Saturday 5th March at Forest Hill in Auic
- Create a ‘Softie’ for the children of Christchurch via Kiwi At Heart blog.
- Donate an old/spare analoghome phone into your local Telecom store (ie doesn’t run on power) to be sent down to Christchurch.
NB: The NZ Blood Service (at 3.59pm on Wednesday 23 February) said: “Thanks everyone for the overwhelming offers to donate blood. We’ve been monitoring our stocks and it’s all looking good. If you have an appointment booked, look forward to seeing you. Otherwise PLEASE make an appointment before dropping in. If we need any more blood donations we’ll let you know through FB and our website. Cheers.”
If you know of other ways that nzgirl readers can support the wider Christchurch community – or our own Cantabrian nzgirl readers – leave a comment in the field below.
Please remember this is a time to band together and not judge each other for how we react under situations of intense emotional pressure or how individuals choose to manifest their support. We’re all doing the best we can!