A few weeks ago I had a couple of very ripe bananas sitting on the kitchen bench waiting to be chucked out or thrown into the freezer.
With thoughts of banana cake filling my head I opened a couple of recipe books to see what I could concur up with two bananas and not much else.
Enter 4 Ingredients. This recipe book (I have the Fast, Fresh and Healthy edition but there are numerous ones in the range) is such a godsend.
The gist of the whole book are recipes that only use four ingredients. Perfect for when you can’t be bothered going to the supermarket but feel like something yummy to eat.
I came across a recipe for banana bread in it and happened to have the ingredients at hand so whipped it up. With only four ingredients it’s easy on the wallet and the washing up.
Since then it’s become a staple for morning and afternoon teas in the office. It’s so quick to make with ingredients most people would have on hand.
The best way to eat is heated with butter on…yum!
- 2 large banana, mashed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 cups self raising flour
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl add bananas and sugar and stir.
- Add mayonnaise, sifted flour and a pinch of salt.
- Lightly mix, until just combined.
- Pour into tin and cook for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes then turn onto a wire rack.
NB: I haven’t ever done this but you can add 2 tbs. of golden syrup when mixing bananas and sugar.
A great way to eat after a few days is to toast and serve with mascarpone drizzled with honey or golden syrup.