Red velvet is such a delicious flavour – the hints of cocoa, almond and vanilla topped off with the pretty red-tinted colour make it irresistible!
This recipe has been modified from the Crimson Velveteen Cupcakes recipe found in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World.
You could choose a different size for your cake tin – just make sure you modify the cooking time.
- 2 cups soy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 4 tablespoons red food colouring
- 5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 180. Line an 18cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Whisk together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and mix
- Add the oil, food colouring and extracts to the soy milk. Whisk well to combine
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing until large lumps disappear
- Pour into the prepared cake tin
- Bake for 1 hour 20mins
- When cool, ice with a vanilla buttercream icing