These are cupcakes at their finest – fluffy, red velvet cakes with lashings of delicious buttercream and decadent holly decorations. Bake them in green cupcakes cases for the ultimate red-and-green Christmas theme. The recipe is based on the Crimson Velveteen Cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.
They might seem like a bit of work but, with the right equipment, they are actually super easy. Wilton is a great resource for cupcakes decorating ideas and techniques, while Cakestuff is worth a look for all of your cupcake and baking needs.
You will need
- Cupcake cases, preferably in Christmas colours
- A holly-leaf shaped cutter
- Green fondant icing
- Red decorating balls
- Edible glitter
For the cupcakes
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbs NESTLE Baking Cocoa
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tbs red food colouring
- 2 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp almond extract
For the buttercream
- ½ cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- ½ cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- 3 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup soy milk
For the decorations
- Use a small holly-shaped cutter to cut out shapes from the green fondant icing. Use a knife or toothpick to draw veins into the icing for a more realistic look. Allow the icing shapes to set before using.
For the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line muffin pans with cupcakes liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar and set it aside to curdle
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Mix.
- Add the oil, food colouring and extracts to the soy milk mixture. Whisk well to combine. Gently fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture, mixing until any large lumps disappear. Be careful not to over mix.
- Fill the cupcake liners about two-third of the way full. Place in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes until done.
For the icing
- Beat together the shortening and the margarine until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes. Add the vanilla and soy milk, beat for another 5-7 minutes until fluffy
- Use a piping bag with a star-shaped nozzle to pipe swirls of buttercream icing onto the cupcakes. Check out detailed instructions here.
- Place the holly icing shapes on top of the buttercream icing. Sprinkle with red decorating balls and green or gold edible glitter.