If you’re on a mission to find the perfect Red Velvet Cake recipe, search no more. I’ve trialled various different recipes, only to find this one to be my favourite.
- 1 1/2 cups (350g) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (250g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dutch cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs *preferably free range
- 1 tablespoon food colouring
- 1 teaspoon distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F (175 degrees C)
- In a large bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, and cocoa powder.
- Whisk together oil, buttermilk, eggs, food colouring, vinegar and vanilla in a second bowl.
- Once the wet ingredients are mixed thoroughly, combine dry mixture until a batter is formed.
- Oil cake pans. I use 3 pans, but you can use two if you need to.
- Divide batter evenly into cake pans and place in oven for about 30 minutes.*Cooking time would depend on how many pans you use. I would recommend doing a toothpick check about 20-25 minutes in.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for at least 30-40 minutes before removing the cake for icing.
- Ice the cake with your choice of frosting and then stack the cakes one on top of the other. I have a preference for cream cheese frosting when it comes to red velvet cakes.
- Decorate how you see fit and the enjoy!
Have you tried Red Velvet Cake before?
What do you think?