Having sweetened condensed milk at home usually means a thick spread of peanut butter, and a heavy lashing of condense milk on toast. However today I’ll be sharing a delicious and easy recipe for
key lime pie. With a little more than an hour’s worth of you time you’ll have yourself a creamy, tangy, sweet tart on an irresistible crust. What a perfect opportunity to make use of limes like this season…
The original recipe calls for Key limes, I’ve searched high and low with no luck. In this recipe I’ve opted for regular limes which worked just as well.
- 1 1/4 cups or 125 grams crushed digestive biscuits
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 70gms butter melted
- 3 large egg yolks *preferably free range
- One can (395 gms) NESTLE HIGHLANDER Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) key lime juice *regular fresh lime works too
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- In a large bowl mix together the digestive crumbs, sugar, and melted butter
- Press the crumb mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a tart pan.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until set and lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool while you make the filling
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C.
- Beat egg yolks in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Once done combine the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, rind, and lime juice. Mix well.
- Pour into the cooled shell.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Store in the fridge to chill for at least an hour. Top with whipped cream and garnish with lime slices if desired
I find the pie perfectly balanced when served with a generous amount of whipped cream on top…aaah! the burst of flavour <3