We all know that one of the pleasures of winter is sipping a delicious, warming hot chocolate while the weather rages outside. Yet sometimes that hot chocolate becomes a little… well, boring. Why not spice it up by adding a little heat and transforming it into cupcake form? Voila: Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes! Sounds heavenly, right?
This recipe comes from the amazing Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World.
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- ¼ ground almond
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cayenne pepper (up to 1/8 teaspoon)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line the cupcake pan with liners.
- Whisk together the coconut milk and flaxseeds and allow it to sit for 10 minutes
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, corn flour, ground almond, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cayenne.
- Whisk sugar, oil, vanilla and almond extract into the coconut milk mixture. Gently add the wet ingredients to the dry. Fill the cupcake liners ¾ full and bake for 22 to 25 minutes.
- To decorate, either sprinkle a little icing sugar, cocoa powder and cinnamon on the cupcakes or, for something more decadent, pipe a chocolate buttercream or chocolate mouse frosting onto the cupcakes.