I adapted this incredibly easy DIY glittering technique from Honestly WTF. The original instructions are for glitterising and rhinestone-ing a pair of canvas shoes, but I used just gold glitter on an old pair of nude leather heels. Bam!
- a pair of of old leather heels
- An 8-ounce jar of Mod Podge Gloss (you can also search on Trade Me)
- 40g chunky gold glitter (try Spotlight or your local craft store)
- 1 paintbrush or old toothbrush
- small plastic tray or icecream container
Here’s how you do it:
1. Make sure you prep yourself with a good work surface and lay some newspaper down – this Mod Podge stuff sticks like concrete once it dries.
2. Before you start you can tape the inside of your heels to protect them from any glitter that drops there, or tape a strip across the front or sides if you want to make patterns. (I am lazy and did not do this, and I have to tell you, it was fine).
3. Now mix one part glitter to two parts Mod Podge in your mixing tray. Stir throughly with the paintbrush. Apply a layer of glitter to your shoes and wait 10-15 minutes for it to dry (it will dry clear).
4. Add your second layer, then wait another 1-15 minutes before applying a third layer if necessary, to fill in any gaps. I left my heels to dry overnight in the laundry.
I kind of expected the glitter to be loose and fall off, but this Mod Podge stuff is amazing, and they’re now totally ready to take out on the town!