Nail art is something I am just getting into and is incredibly fun. The best part that you can pretty much make it up as you go along – like I did with these diamond nails!
- Two coloured nail polishes, one dark (for the base) and one light) for the tip. To tap into top Nail colours for Winter 2012 try a deep purple base with lavender tip, or black base with gray tips.
- One clear top coat polish
- Stick on diamantes (Try Spotlight, Warehouse Stationary or your local craft store)
- Strong acrylic nail glue
- A fine-tip brush (or an incredibly steady hand) for neatening it all up
- Nail polish remover and cotton buds or wipes
Method (it looks like a lot of steps I know, but don’t worry, most of it is just painting your nail and letting them dry):
1. Start with a layer of the clear top coat as a base for the nails. Let it dry.
2. Apply your dark colour, up to the tips or close to them (you’ll neaten this up later). Let it dry and apply another coat until you have an even coat.
3. Using the nail polish remover wipes (or a cotton bud), wipe any polish from the tip of your nails (the part where the white polish for a French manicure would go), leaving a strip at the top of each nail.
4. Paint the strip using your lighter colour. It’s ok if you go a bit over the darker base colour, you can neaten this up later! Let it dry and apply another coat.
5. Using your fine tip brush, make a neat line under the strip using your darker coloured polish.
6. Apply a top coat over the whole nail and let it dry.
7. Now for the fun part! Apply the gems just below the strip, or in a pattern on your nail, fixing into place with the acrylic nail glue.